Dr. Mayer received his Ph.D. and M.A. in psychology at Case Western Reserve University, and his B.A. from the University of Michigan and was a postdoctoral scholar at Stanford University. He is presently Professor of Psychology at the University of New Hampshire.
Dr. Mayer has served on the editorial boards of Psychological Bulletin, the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, and the Journal of Personality, among others, and has been an Individual National Institute of Mental Health Postdoctoral Scholar at Stanford University. He has published over 120 articles, books, and psychological tests related to personality psychology, including on emotional intelligence, integrative models of personality, and more generally on the effects of personality on an individual’s life. For more information, please see Dr. Mayer's personality psychology web site at:
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Mayer, J. D. (2005). A tale of two visions: Can a new view of personality help integrate psychology? American Psychologist.
- Mayer, J. D., & Korogodsky, M. (2011). A really big picture of personality. Social and Personality Compass, 5, 104-117.
- Mayer, J.D., Lin, S. C. & Korogodsky, M. (2011). Exploring the universality of personality judgments: Evidence from the Great Transformation (1000 BCE-200 BCE). Review of General Psychology, 15, 65-76.
- Mayer, J. D., Panter, A. T., & Caruso, D. R. (2012). Does personal intelligence exist? Evidence from a new ability-based measure. Journal of Personality Assessment, 94, 124-140.
- Mayer, J. D., Salovey, P., & Caruso, D. R. (2008). Emotional intelligence: New ability or eclectic traits? American Psychologist, 63, 503-517.
- Abrnormal Psychology
- Advanced Seminar in Social Psychology: Personality Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Psychological Measurement
John D. Mayer
Department of Psychology
Conant Hall, 10 Library Way
University of New Hampshire
Durham, New Hampshire 03824
United States of America
- Phone: (603) 862-3851